Songs for Peace competition
Sauti za Busara brings people together in celebration: ‘Different Colours, One People’.
We value and appreciate Tanzania is one of the world’s most peaceful countries. With 2015 being election year in Tanzania, we believe for national development to continue unhindered, we need to strengthen unity, respect for diversity, and work to preserve and protect this precious peace.
At the 12th edition of the festival, 19 performing groups will represent Tanzania, with another 18 groups representing different parts of the African Continent and diaspora. Whilst bringing together diverse artists and audiences in celebration of African music, Sauti za Busara is hosting a competition, with cash prizes as studio recording fees awarded for the best Songs for Peace.
The Songs for Peace competition takes place at Sauti za Busara festival in Stone Town, Zanzibar between 4:00pm on Thurs 12 and 8:00pm on Sun 15 February. The competition is open to residents of Tanzania, or people of Tanzanian descent.
Together as One: Amani Ndio Mpango Mzima!
- All Tanzanian groups participating in the festival are invited to compose ONE special song on the theme of peace and unity, and to perform this song during their festival sets.
- All songs included in the competition must be originally created by the contestants.
- To be eligible for inclusion in the competition all Songs for Peace must be performed live
- To be eligible for inclusion in the competition all Songs for Peace must include lyrics in Swahili.
- A jury panel of local music experts shall judge the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most creative Songs for Peace as performed at Sauti za Busara 2015.
- Winners shall be announced at the festival during evening of Sunday 15th February
- Cash prizes shall be awarded. These include costs for producing professional studio recordings of the winning songs: 4m/- TSh (1st Prize), 3m/- TSh (2nd Prize) and 2m/- TSh (3rd Prize).
- Judging criteria will include lyrical content and delivery, musical arrangement, artistic quality, originality and creativity, performance skills and/or the audience’s response.
- Whilst visiting artists will also be encouraged to include songs on peace and unity in their festival shows, only artists of Tanzanian descent are eligible to participate in the competition.
Participation in the contest is automatically deemed as acceptance of the Official Contest Rules.
The Songs for Peace competition is sponsored by Busara Promotions, with support from the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam.